FTP clients are programs designed to send files between computers and servers via the internet. These applications support protocols such as FTP, SFTP, HTTP/HTTPS, and others. Many FTP clients have drag-and-drop functionality for copying files from one location to another. In addition, you can use these applications to synchronize local and distant folders.
All FTP clients are different. But the main thing to remember is that you want a client that works with your operating system. The client must also have an easy interface for moving around and organizing files.
Nowadays, most hosting companies have one-click options for installing these files on systems such as WP. But, for new and experienced developers, an FTP client is an excellent training and debugging tool. It’s also a good idea to keep a local copy of your website on your computer at all times.
- 1 FTP Client – What is it and Why You Need it?
- 2 Using an FTP Client
- 3 Best FTP Clients Features
- 4 Best FTP Clients for Windows and Mac WordPress Users
- 5 1. WinSCP
- 6 2. Cyberduck
- 7 3. Transmit
- 8 4. Free FTP
- 9 5. FileZilla
- 10 6. WS_FTP Professional
- 11 7. Forklift
- 12 8. Commander One PRO
- 13 9. Core FTP LE
- 14 10. CuteFTP
- 15 11. FireFTP
- 16 12. Classic FTP
- 17 13. SolarWinds FTP Voyager FTP Client
- 18 14. GoodSync
- 19 15. Coffeecup
- 20 16. FTP Voyager
- 21 17. Fetch FTP
- 22 18. Pure FTPD
- 23 19. Wise FTP
- 24 20. Crush FTP
- 25 21. Flash FXP
- 26 22. Smart FTP
- 27 23. Cross FTP
- 28 The Best FTP Clients You Should You Go For
- 29 Conclusion
FTP Client – What is it and Why You Need it?
You can upload files from your PC to your WordPress site using FTP (File Transfer Protocol). But, first, you will need an FTP client. It is a desktop tool that links your computer to your WordPress hosting account to use FTP.
It has a simple visual user interface. It allows you to execute all FTP functions on your WordPress sites, such as copying, uploading, deleting, renaming, and editing files and directories.
To use WordPress, you do not need to install an FTP client. However, when you cannot enter the WordPress admin area, an FTP client can assist you in resolving frequent WordPress difficulties.
Using an FTP Client
To connect to your WordPress site, you’ll need an FTP login and password. This information is available in the email you received when you started your blog and signed up for a web hosting service.
You can connect to your website after you have this information. You can also get this information from your web hosting cPanel dashboard or by contacting support.
To begin, open your FTP program and enter your FTP login, password, host, and then click the connect button.
The URL of your website is referred to as the host (e.g., abcd.com). If you leave the port parameter blank, your FTP client will connect to the common FTP protocol on port 21.
Using SFTP, you can connect to your server via port 22. In addition, it encrypts data before transmitting it to your web server. As a result, SFTP will decrease the possibility of hackers acquiring your FTP password or sniffing on data.
Best FTP Clients Features
FTP clients are very similar in certain aspects. But sometimes, you find a minor feature that makes one of them substantially more valuable to you. That being said, the following are the primary factors to consider:
- You must first determine whether the FTP client is compatible with your OS. Like Windows, Mac, or Linux.
- Also, check to see which versions of your operating system are supported. For OS support, some FTP clients far outperform others.
- Look for visually appealing interfaces with drag-and-drop capability.
- Even if you have thousands of files, the most pleasing FTP clients feature bookmarking and search tools to help you find them.
- Examine which clients connect to which sorts of servers. Some are only for transferring files from local to online servers. Others link to third-party storage services such as Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Check that the client supports the protocols you need. FTP, SSL, and SSH are a few examples.
- A quick file transfer is essential.
- Comparisons of directories side by side look fantastic.
- Most developers must verify that it may send huge files using their FTP client.
- When selecting an FTP client, security should be one of your top objectives.
After that, let’s look at some of the top FTP clients for WordPress users on various platforms.
Best FTP Clients for Windows and Mac WordPress Users
For various platforms and operating systems, there are a variety of premium and free FTP clients available. Each of them has an easy-to-use interface. They also have extra functionality to make editing WordPress files more effortless for you.
WinSCP is a robust and easy-to-use FTP client for Windows users. Unfortunately, the user interface appears to have too many options. But it is extremely simple to master.
The files on your computer are on the left, while the files on your server are on the right. To download, upload, or edit a file, simply click on it.
It includes all the functionality that advanced users need from a sophisticated FTP client. It supports SFTP, SSH, and, of course, traditional FTP. In addition, WinSCP makes handling files and assigning default editors is easy.
What makes it an excellent choice:
- WinSCP is a free FTP client
- The documentation and support tools outperform the competition.
- WebDAV, S3, SFTP, SCP, FTPS, and FTP are all supported by the client.
- The graphical user interface improves the aesthetic and understandability of your job.
- You can incorporate your preferred text editor.
- You can use rules to automate tasks and scripts.
- The client translates into different languages to provide help in a variety of nations.
- When using WinSCP, all files are encrypted.
- Suppose you intend to use the client for your organization or don’t want a person to access files or functions. Then, you can create administrative limitations.
- You can change the user interface to match your own needs.
- WinSCP is always connected to the workspaces you are currently working on. Therefore, if you lose something, WinSCP will restore the entire workspace.
Is WinSCP FTP Client Appropriate for You?
WinSCP is not available for Mac or Linux users. It makes sense for individuals who need a Windows-only FTP client. We enjoy it mostly because of the interface’s simplicity. If you only need the essentials, WinSCP appears to be an excellent choice.
WinSCP is a robust and user-friendly FTP client for Windows. Unfortunately, the user interface appears to have too many features. But it is simple to understand.
On the left are the files on your computer, and on the right are the files on your server. Simply click on a file to download, upload, or edit it.
WinSCP includes all the capabilities that advanced users would expect from a robust FTP client. It supports SFTP, SSH, and, of course, FTP. In addition, WinSCP makes it simple to manage files and assign default editors.
What Makes Cyberduck a Good Option:
- First, Cyberduck is a free and open-source project.
- The client is available for both Windows and Mac computers.
- Third, it enables you to connect via a variety of protocols, including FTP and SFTP.
- Transfer support for some of the most popular third-party cloud storage services. Such as Microsoft Azure, Google Drive, and Dropbox.
- The Cryptomator feature ensures that all your files and transfers are protected and secure by encrypting them. There are also no backdoors because you are not required to register or create an account.
- You can make modifications to all your documents using an external file editor.
- A URL generator makes it simple to share files.
- The bookmarking application has tools for recording history, imports, files, and more.
- You can easily navigate large folder structures by using the quick look tool or checking out the basic outline offered.
- Cyberduck can transfer almost anything. You can do this through the use of a drag-and-drop module. You may also synchronize, copy, and paste data.
- Cyberduck includes various integrations. Including the Keychain password manager and the Bonjour auto-discovery platform.
Is This FTP Client Appropriate for You?
If you’re running Linux, you can’t use Cyberduck. But, Windows and Mac users prefer Cyberduck’s modern, clean design.
Furthermore, it is ideal for users who want to sync with third-party cloud services such as Google Drive or Dropbox. If you’re more interested in connecting to cloud storage, this is the FTP client for you (and my personal preference).
Transmit is the most widely used FTP client for Mac, especially among web developers. It includes a plethora of sophisticated features such as folder syncing, disc features, and faster speeds.
Transmit seamlessly integrates into your native Mac environment. This makes it extremely simple for Mac users to learn quickly. You can save your best shortcuts as favorites in Finder and access them quickly.
It accepts SSH, SFTP, FTP, and FTPs connections. It also includes a handy code editor for rapid file changes.
What Makes Transmit a Great Option:
- There is no free version of Transmit. But the pricing is reasonable, and you get discounts on the more licenses you buy.
- It has a gorgeous UI that is like what most Mac users are used to.
- It supports the fundamentals such as FTP, WebDAV, and SFTP. But, you will get server integrations with providers. Such as Rackspace, Dropbox, and Backblaze.
- Transmit includes a drag-and-drop interface for quickly uploading and synchronizing files.
- You can manage files on many servers at the same time.
- Transmit has a “Panic Sync” option. It securely stores your data in a second location if something goes wrong with your remote server or machine.
- It’s one of the fastest on the market. It has intelligent searching in large folders and lightning-fast multithreading.
- In the sidebar, you may view file details.
- Batch edit many of your files by picking the ones you want to change and the text you want to replace them with.
- With a “key,” you can select the name of a single file and be taken directly to that location.
- Transmit can handle huge Amazon S3 file transfers.
Is This FTP Client Appropriate for You?
You should consider Transmit if you own a Mac. Aside from that, we recommend comparing Transmit and Forklift. This will help you determine whether one provides the required remote servers.
Finally, Transmit is for users who desire a simple interface with fast upload and transfer speeds. The shortcuts are also useful for streamlining your productivity.
4. Free FTP
Free FTP by Coffeecup.com offers free and paid versions for you to try out and maybe upgrade to if you need more features. The premium version is $39, and there is a free trial; if you’d prefer to try it, then remain with the free version. Free FTP is now supported on Windows 10, 8, 7, and Vista.
The premium software is named Direct FTP. But it is created by the same creators and only improves on what is available in the free version—paying for Direct FTP grants you access to standard file transmission and editing facilities.
It enhances the UI by including a full range of web design tools for quick adjustments and file organization. It may modify everything directly on your server. Also, all uploads are dependable and quick to assure peak performance.
The premium version (Direct FTP) adds minor features such as:
- More secure file transfer
- Customizable syntax highlighting
- File permissions for folders
Many folks will not even consider paying for FTP service, so let’s get to the Free FTP software. This application focuses on super-simple and quick uploads to your servers.
Dragging and dropping and a variety of other tools are available for both novice and advanced users. In addition, all file transfers are organized in a tidy list. This way, you can see what has been transferred and what is uploading.
Bookmarks are straightforward and intuitive. Also, file management takes place entirely within the software for operations, such as adding, launching, and moving files. Finally, the backup features are beneficial. They allow you to save a ZIP folder of your website files with the touch of a mouse.
What Makes Free FTP a Good Option:
- Free FTP is available in both free and premium versions.
- In addition, SFTP, SSH, FTPS, HTTP, and TLS are all secure file transfer protocols.
- You can use File permissions to protect your work. This way, you ensure that only the appropriate users can see and manipulate what they need to.
- Free FTP comes with a simple drag-and-drop editor and a side-by-side comparison of all the directories on your distant and local servers.
- The rapid archival features ensure that you can back up all files and folders without fear of missing anything.
- The complete edition includes a code completion solution. It suggests and completes objects such as HTML tags and attributes for you. Hence, reducing some of the strain on your fingers.
- In a history module, all browsing and transfer operations are recorded. This implies you can always travel back in time to find a file if you can’t remember where you stored it.
- On the bottom of the FTP client, a status bar displays to let you know when files are being transmitted or if an error has occurred.
- Free FTP supports a few more FTP versions than its competitors. TSL, HTTPS, SFTP, SSH, and FTPS, for example, are all supported.
- The design is straightforward and effective for all users, especially when you consider how simple it is to tag bookmarks and check the progress of your files in the main window.
Is Free FTP Client Appropriate for You?
For individuals who want a clean, uncomplicated environment, free FTP should suffice. You get the essentials without any of the extras that are unnecessary for the ordinary user. Suppose you don’t mind paying for the premium edition. You can also gain code completion tools and support for HTTPS and TSL.
FileZilla FTP is a well-known free FTP client available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. It is possibly the most user-friendly FTP client. But, we have ranked it fifth. This is because users have reported finding adware or spyware bundled within downloads.
By unchecking the box during installation, you can opt out of adware. But because many of our users are new, we are concerned that they will miss it and wind up with adware on their machine.
You can install FileZilla from the official website by our experienced users. In addition, Filezilla is available in the official repository of most Linux distributions.
Also Read: How to Use FileZilla for FTP.
What Makes FileZilla an Excellent Choice:
- First, FileZilla is free, open-source software.
- It provides many choices for different operating systems and versions. FileZilla is one of the only FTP programs that doesn’t care what kind of hardware you have.
- The FileZilla community is vibrant and active. This means that updates are frequent, and you can communicate with users and developers.
- The support documentation is extensive, dedicated to development help, FAQs, support pages, and forums.
- The primary screen’s side-by-side layout makes it simple to see where your files are being moved. You can also see what the status of a transfer is.
- The FTP client supports a variety of protocols, including SFTP, FTPS, and FTP.
- The client is accessible in various languages, and you can use it anywhere in the world.
- The remote file search capability eliminates the need to go searching for them manually.
- You get remote file editing, so you don’t have to log in to your host account all the time.
- Bookmarks are offered to help you save your place and remember where you put files.
- You can transfer large files. It supports files greater than 4GB most of the time, which is better than some competition.
- With the help of drag and drop tools, the directory comparison module becomes even handier.
Is This FTP Client Appropriate for You?
FileZilla is one of the greatest all-purpose FTP clients available. The interface will take some getting used to. But it supports all operating systems and many older versions. It is undoubtedly more likely to be utilized by Windows users. Still, it is also available to Mac and Linux users. Also, it is a good choice if you desire a side-by-side drag-and-drop comparison.
6. WS_FTP Professional
It is a popular commercial FTP client for Windows. SSH, 256-bit AES, FIPS 140-2 verified cryptography, and OpenPGP file encryption provides enterprise-grade security for transfers.
It has file search, drag-and-drop transfers, faster speeds, scheduled transfers, and many other complex features.
What Makes WS FTP a Good Choice:
- WS FTP is a high-quality FTP client for Windows with reasonable pricing.
- The most significant advantage is increased security. File encryption, signature keys, backups, FIPS 140-2 verified cryptography, and other features are included.
- All transfers are guaranteed to be sent to the correct folders.
- You can sync your files with a variety of services and devices.
- Directly compress your files from the WS FTP window.
- You can configure email notifications to notify you or other stakeholders in your organization when a transfer occurs.
- You can get premium customer help rather than only a community forum or an email to a developer who may take a while to respond.
Is This FTP Client Appropriate for You?
The name of the game for WS FTP is security. FIPS 140-2 Validated Cryptography and integrated file encryption work together. As a result, it provides the greatest level of security for all essential data when combined with backups and syncs. As a result, you should have no trouble keeping your files secure. As a result, we recommend WS FTP to Windows users who seek the highest level of security.
ForkLift is Mac-only file management and transfer client. It has dual windows for comparing and shifting various file locations. Amazon S3 and Google Drive, for example, support remote connections. Not to mention that you can connect many servers at the same time. This gives you more flexibility if you have many transfers to finish.
It does provide a free trial, but the essential software costs $29.95 for a single license. The family license is suitable for three machines and costs $49.95. While the small business license is suitable for up to five Macs and costs $99.95. Teachers and students can also take advantage of ForkLift’s educational discounts.
The main file manager connects your remote servers to the local environment using a drag-and-drop mechanism. It offers attractive visualizations that show which files are being managed. Also, the side-by-side comparison allows you to examine everything in one window and move files from one to the other. It’s a new UI that should complement the sleekness that Mac users are used to.
What makes it a good option:
- Fair lifetime fees and discounts for students and instructors.
- The dual-pane interface divides your file locations into two different windows. This allows you to drag files from one area to another.
- Using Dropbox, you can sync all your favorites between machines.
- It allows you to right-click and copy Dropbox files, then drops them into ForkLift files.
- There are several external connections accessible, including WebDAV, Amazon S3, and Google Drive.
- ForkLift supports SFTP and FTP transfers.
- A preview window is included in the transfer module for inspecting important details from all files. For example, you could want to listen to an audio file or examine an image.
- The multi-rename tool allows you to select a large number of files and rename them all at once.
- You can set your interface to “dark mode” to avoid straining your eyes while working.
- ForkLift allows you to select your favorite editor. This means that all file changes are made outside of ForkLift and then synchronized.
Is Forklift FTP Client Appropriate for You?
ForkLift is only available for Mac users. So Windows and Linux users should look into other FTP clients. If you want to choose ForkLift based on features. Consider it if you need access to various remote connections, such as Google Drive, SMB, and NFS. This is also a paid piece of software, so you should go elsewhere if you don’t want to pay for an FTP client.
8. Commander One PRO
Commander One has a free version that you are invited to download. But, for various reasons, we are focusing on the premium Commander One PRO FTP client. To begin with, the feature set is superior when you upgrade to the Pro version. Second, the Pro personal license is a mere $29.99. Following that, you might buy the team edition (five licenses) for $99.99 or the company plan (50 licenses) for $149.99.
Commander One PRO supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS transfers. It’s a dependable and somewhat fast client. It offers efficient transferring, uploading, and moving files between servers. It allowed many connections, and tabbed browsing would also improve the efficiency of your operation.
Commander One PRO 2 is also a new release from the developers. This opens up a plethora of cloud synchronizing options, including Box Cloud, Backblaze B2, and Amazon S3. All these servers are joined together by a lovely connection manager. As a result, even if you have five or ten connections active at the same time, you always have access to them all in one spot.
What Makes Commander One PRO a Good Choice:
- Commander One includes a free version for light tasks. It also offers a very low-cost premium edition with a slew of unique features.
- It supports a wide range of languages, including Polish, Spanish, and French.
- You can select from a variety of color schemes.
- The client assists you in compressing your files. ZIP, RAR, and TGZ files are examples of compression formats.
- It enables you to attach your smartphone or tablet to an Android device for file management.
- All iOS devices can be mounted as well.
- Commander One PRO has a file viewer to see which media assets are present in your files. This can also be beneficial for evaluating metadata.
- To optimize your workflow and speed up the process of finding specific files, you can assign hotkeys.
- During all transfers, the encryption service safeguards your files. This is accomplished by transferring data across local, cloud, and remote systems.
- It supports a wide range of connections, including Amazon S3, Dropbox, and OneDrive.
Is Commander one pro FTP Client Appropriate for You?
Users of Windows and Linux can avoid Commander One PRO entirely. However, suppose you’re a Mac user looking for many connections and a fully customized interface. In that case, Commander One PRO might be just what you’re looking for. It also provides excellent support for compressing files.
9. Core FTP LE
Core FTP LE was not always free, but you now choose to pay for the Pro or LE version. It has a simple interface, dual-panel architecture, and a strong resemblance to FileZilla. As a result, we believe Core FTP LE should be adequate for the vast majority of users. The biggest distinction is that Core FTP LE only develops Windows software. Thus it may be more focused on that type of experience.
The file manager has modules for transfers and dragging and dropping. It also has a status area that lets you know if your file will be transferred from a local to a distant location.
The majority of your actions are carried out in the same window. For example, this allows you to search for files in a large hierarchy and bookmark the most important items to you.
As stated before, the essential functionalities of Core FTP LE are free. But, you can upgrade to the Pro version for $24.95. You’ll find many materials to help you with your study or connect with other community members on the website.
You could, for example, send an email to the developer or post the same question in the forums and get feedback from other users. An FAQ, feature list, and documentation are among the other sections on the website.
What Makes Core FTP LE a Good Option:
- It’s like FileZilla, but it has a few capabilities that FileZilla doesn’t have.
- The core Core FTP LE client is entirely free and ready for download.
- There is a Pro edition available if you want utilities like file syncing, encryption, and custom screen layouts.
- Secure FTPS, TLS, SSL, and SFTP are all supported in the free version.
- Mode Z compression enhances transfer rates and aids in the speeding up of your work process.
- You drag and drop all file elements into other directories.
- It has a one-of-a-kind functionality that retries all transfers in the event of a failure.
- The admin level allows for file masking and file permissions.
- You can make your desktop shortcuts.
- Core FTP LE enables the simultaneous transfer of many files to different destinations.
Is Core FTP LE FTP Client Appropriate for You?
Core FTP LE is only available for Windows machines. Core FTP LE is an excellent alternative to FileZilla, in our opinion. However, maybe you don’t like some of the FileZilla shortcuts or the general UI. In that case, give this one a shot and see if it helps. Because the transfers are quick and secure, you should be able to work out a solution between the two of them.
Globalscape is the firm that owns CuteFTP. It is only available for usage on Windows systems and costs $59.99 per year. Every year, the developers release a new version. In such a scenario, you can pay $29.99 to upgrade. CuteFTP also includes one year of maintenance and support for $30.
It provides an FTP client with an easy-to-use UI, a lot of automation, and industry-leading security. Password authentication, strong encryption, and a password manager ensure that security is not compromised.
What’s fantastic about a premium FTP file manager is that it comes with many online resources and actual human customer service. For example, Globalscape has a comprehensive knowledge base, an online help file, and a user guide.
You can reach the customer service team via phone or through a chatbox. In brief, an FTP transfer can occasionally cause major issues for your firm. That’s where speaking with a live person comes in handy. That’s when paying a tiny charge for an FTP client comes in handy.
What Makes CuteFTP a Good Choice:
- The company provides a gorgeous FTP client as well as phone and email support. This comes at a very low cost.
- From the main window, you may safely backup and sync your site files.
- CuteFTP has a password manager for keeping track of all the passwords you create.
- You can send transfers over FTP/S, HTTP/S, or SFTP.
- To provide even more protection to the system. In addition, there is a password authentication protocol.
- Your transfers can be made manually or scheduled to execute on a regular basis.
- All transfers are watched, and it will notify you if anything unusual occurs.
- It allows you to manage audio files and even build podcast RSS feeds.
- The drag and drop interface allows you to move files across folders and servers.
- CuteFTP allows you to create scripts that will save you time in the future.
- Connect to all your sites using a step-by-step guide within the app.
Is CuteFTP Client Appropriate for You?
CuteFTP may be suitable if you use a Windows machine. It’s one of the few premium Windows FTP clients. So you get amazing customer service and some unique features that FileZilla and other open-source projects don’t have.
If you want improved automation, security, and customer support on a Windows workstation. We recommend the CuteFTP client.
This Mozilla Firefox add-on provides a powerful FTP/SFTP client directly in your browser. It is available on any platform that supports Firefox.
12. Classic FTP
Classic FTP is a free file transfer client for non-commercial usage. It has a very simple interface, which is good because it makes it simple to use. We appreciate its “Compare Directories” option. It helps compare discrepancies between local and remote files.
13. SolarWinds FTP Voyager FTP Client
FTP SolarWinds Voyager FTP Client is a program that allows you to safely transfer files to a server. Once the transfer is complete, it automatically synchronizes folders. In addition, it gives you the option to pause, cancel, or delete the transferred files and folders.
- It supports file upload and downloads through Ftp, FTPS, and SFTP.
- Allows you to connect to many servers at the same time.
- You can run concurrent file transfers by dragging and dropping files from your PC.
- You can schedule a transfer to take place at a certain time.
GoodSync is a utility for backup and file synchronization. This software can sync files across computers and storage devices, as well as between computers and servers. In addition, it allows the user to operate parallel threads to increase file transmission speed.
- You can transfer Real-time data without difficulty.
- It is one of the best FTP software programs for performing automated schedule and real-time backups without the need for user intervention.
- AES-256 is used to encrypt the files.
- It is capable of detecting files that have been renamed or moved from one location to another.
- The bandwidth speed is adjustable.
- Provides logs of actions taken as well as a change report.
- It is capable of resolving access denied errors.
- This utility can use MD5 to compare two files.
- You can specify paths for portable drives.
Coffeecup is a free FTP client that allows you to connect to a server with a single mouse click. Drag and drop any file into a computer or server to upload or download it. The software continues to manage your website smoothly.
- Files and folders can have permissions specified.
- Support secure file transmission via SFTP, SSH (Secure Shell), HTTPS, and other protocols.
- You can easily control local and distant files.
- You can create a backup of your website instantly.
- Manage the history of created folders precisely.
16. FTP Voyager
FTP Voyager is a file transfer protocol (FTP) client for Microsoft Windows and Linux. This Linux SFTP client utility can quickly transfer files of any size. In addition, FTP Voyager allows you to send files through a secure shell data stream.
- You can schedule and send many files at the same time.
- Drag-and-drop folders from your desktop are transferred.
- Connect to different servers at the same time.
- This Linux SFTP client syncs directories automatically.
- You can use FTP, SFTP, and FTPS to upload or download any file.
17. Fetch FTP
FetchFTP is a Macintosh file transfer client. It supports FTP and SFTP, as well as FTPS and other protocols. While transferring many files, you can use this tool to see the total progress and remaining time. In addition, fetch FTP assists you in filtering out required directories.
- With a single mouse click, you can edit any file.
- It is one of the most excellent SFTP clients. It allows you to drag and drop folders and files between servers and your Mac.
- You can use the mirror command to synchronize folders.
- It includes WebView, which allows you to preview files in your web browser.
- Copy and paste the file between servers.
- Maintains file modification dates across uploads and downloads.
- You can use Dropbox to synchronize shortcuts across two Macs.
- This FTP client for Mac comes with a wealth of online support.
- MacOS is supported.
18. Pure FTPD
Pure-FTPD is software that can translate server messages into a variety of languages. Including English, French, Spanish, and German. LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) authentication is fully supported.
- This software is simple to install, even for beginners.
- You can limit the number of concurrent users.
- It allows you to connect to a server only from a specific IP address range.
- If the system load is too high, you can disable downloads.
- On the same server, it can host many FTP servers.
- Compliant with your existing client and server specifications.
- You can simply install external software such as database archival and virus scanners.
- It includes built-in secure cryptographic security techniques.
19. Wise FTP
WISE-FTP is a professional FTP client. It offers an easy-to-use UI. In addition, this program includes an HTML editor. You can connect to any FTP server, including FTPES, FTPS, and SFTP.
- You can delete, rename, or copy files from the FTP server to your local computer.
- It provides planners to help you schedule your uploading and downloading of files.
- It is simple to sync files, directories, folders, and subfolders.
- The SSH file transmission protocol maintains security.
20. Crush FTP
It is a simple file transfer solution that you can use on Windows, Solaris, BSD, Unix, and other platforms. It includes a zip mechanism that allows users to download files in a compressed format. In addition, the software allows you to control and check the server from any device, from anywhere.
- It shows a thumbnail glimpse of photos, documents, PDFs, and so on.
- You may personalize website forms for users.
- A built-in report is available to track user activities.
- You can instantly log in using your browser.
- The server administrator can grant the user permission.
- It provides data synchronization in real-time.
- You can configure jobs or tasks to run at a specific time.
- Supports a large number of plugins.
21. Flash FXP
The FlashFXP platform allows you to share files with coworkers and friends over FTP. This application is accessible in various languages, including Chinese, Dutch, French, and German. The portable form of this software is also available.
- You can set download and upload speeds limits.
- Allows you to connect to the server via FTP, FTPS, HTTP, and other methods.
- Visual comparison of directories is possible.
- It allows you to bookmark folders.
- You can use a command-line interface.
- You can roll back data transfers.
- It has an instantaneous transfer resume feature.
- You can figure out how big the files are.
22. Smart FTP
SmartFTP is an FTP client that allows you to transfer files between a computer and a server. It aids in the publication and upkeep of your website. This program allows you to upload and download documents, music files, videos, and other media.
- This program makes it simple to synchronize files or directories.
- You can personalize the commands the way you want.
- It is a great FTP client that allows you to preview the source file.
- Compare files visually
- There is the possibility of several connections.
- Supports UTF-8 is an abbreviation for Unicode Text (Transformation Format 8-bit blocks)
- Tasks that you must complete at a given time should be scheduled.
23. Cross FTP
CrossFTP is an FTP client for Windows, Linux, and Mac that handles data sync/transfer. In addition, this Linux SFTP client allows you to manage database and file backups.
- You can connect many site connections within a single window.
- The most recent version of this software encrypts your password.
- You may use it to compress, explore, and extract archives.
- With a single click, you may locate the file on the internet.
- Transfer data in batches.
- Zoom feature for previewing
- This Linux SFTP client includes sound and event notifications.
- It is one of the best FTP clients for Mac, and it provides useful historical information.
The Best FTP Clients You Should You Go For
Our suggestions will enable you to narrow down your list of FTP clients and make a decision. Here are some final suggestions if you need a bit more help:
FileZilla. If you want a free FTP client that works with all operating systems, consider FileZilla. It is also the best all-around option in our opinion.
Cyberduck. This is a good option for Windows and Mac users who want to sync with storage providers such as Google Drive and Dropbox.
ForkLift. This FTP client is designed for Mac users who want to connect to distant servers such as SMB and Google Drive.
Transmit. This one is perfect for Mac users and has quick upload speeds.
WinSCP. Consider this if you have a Windows PC and want to keep things as simple as possible.
WS FTP® Professional. For Windows customers seeking the highest level of security in an FTP client.
Commander One PRO. If you’re a Mac user searching for many connections, consider this client.
Core FTP LE. This is only available for Windows PCs. It’s a good option for FileZilla, so try them both and see which one you prefer.
CuteFTP. If you want the best customer help of any of these FTP programs, use CuteFTP. Also, keep in mind that you must pay for it and use a Windows machine. Free FTP. If you use Windows and want simplicity as well as prospective support for TSL and HTTPS.
FTP clients have evolved. But they continue to play an important role in the world of website building and management. Sure, some of the clients may be more focused on cloud synchronization. But you should also keep traditional FTP clients on hand in case you need them.
We hope this guide has assisted you in determining the best FTP client for uploading files to WP. You can download FTP clients for free.